View Single Post
Old 6th November 2017, 01:36

ChrisMAg2
Re: wreck identification - engine pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by hervelevano View Post
Thank you Chris!
according to the Do 217 scheme and the pic of the wreck years ago, don't you think we can see a match with a Do 217 lying on the back? Flame damping system is over the wings (normally above) and the tail is quite similar to the Do photo attached if lying upside down...)

hervé
Absolutely correct conclusion (IMO). See for that Snautzer's detail photo above this post. If the photo would be mirrored it would be more evident.

The exhaust pipes you see here on the photos are the pipes of the downward/ side leading exhausts. The engine or the exhaust sysyem is mounted turned on the center axis line by 180 dergrees. So the originally downward facing exhaust pipes on a fighter (pointing under the fuselage e.g. on a Fw190) are in this wreck actually facing above the wing.
This is an indicator, that we are looking at the underside wing surface. What we don't see anymore, is the undercarriage and tail wheel assembly, that might somehow and somewhen been seperated from the wing/ fuselage. So, yes, the wreck appears to be laying on it's back.

Also, the engine does not appear to be complete anymore, as I only see one of the two piston rows of a BMW801. This fact might have led to the theory this could be a british Blenheim with one rowed engines. But if the wreck would have been measured entirely, I suppose a Blenheim would immidiately have been excluded, as a Blenheim is noticeibely smaller then a Do217.

I took the liberty to modify your photo, to visualise what I mean. The "X" marked areas/ objects are now gone on this wreck. The arrows point to what is visible on the wreck photos.