View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2005, 11:15

hoeberigs is on a distinguished road
Smile history of the Me 110 g4 nightfighter Hendon

I live in Belgium near the coast in Knokke-Heist. In World War 2, there was a little german airbase in Knokke, it was called "fliegerhorst Zoute". Zoute is a small part of Knokke-Heist.
In a book about the Me 110, there is a picture of the Me 110 bearing the code D5 + RL. This airplane is now in the RAF museum in Hendon. In the book, they say that this plane was captured in 1944 on the airbase of Knokke-Zoute. When I asked people of Knokke about this history, they don't know. What really happened? We are liberated in November by the Canadians, maybe the Canadians captured the Me 110 on the airbase when the Germans had left Knokke OR is the Me 110 hyjacked by English fighters while flying above the airbase and taken to England? Because Knokke is near the coast, there was a lot of FLAK and they used planes who tore a big white sack. The FLAK had to shoot to the reflection of the sack for practising their shooting abilities. When an airplane tore such a sack, his was very vulnerable for enemy fighters. That last explination have I heard from somebody who's interested in the flying history of Fliegerhorst Zoute. In a book written on the old airbase of Knokke, they don't mention the Me 110 history at all. Maybe it's all fiction.

Does somebody know what really happened? Please let me Know.

greets
Tom hoeberigs