View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2020, 21:12
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Photos Japanese Aircraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocee View Post
Stig,

In Sekigawa's book on Japanese Military Aviation there are two photos of an Army Nieuport NG monoplane. He says that in 1913 the Army imported two from France, one three-seat NM and one two-seat NG. Both were used for training and in the Tsingtao campaign. The Navy did not buy any.
George/Clint

Yes I do have Sekigawa's book from 1974.

Baeza is very clear in his book from 2011, there are no Nieuport monoplanes listed in his work. One of his sources are the stated book, so it would be very strange if he had missed that detail.

However I also note that Mikesh/Abe state basically the same thing, twice, in their Putnam book, although they claim it was a single NG.

Checking further, I notice that the quite rare book 'Baron Miyahara and his World of Aircraft 1910-1970 (from 2008) also states two were imported, one two-seater and one three-seater. They also claim it was a Lt Nagasawa who went to France and bought them.

So with this veritable cannonade of other sources who claim 1 - 2 Nieuport monoplanes were used, perhaps Baeza is wrong after all....
Usually no smoke without a fire....

Cheers
Stig