View Single Post
Old 25th August 2007, 17:56

Oldpilot is on a distinguished road
Now available: Flying Tigers: Claire Chennault and all that

Greetings!

Tuesday was the publication date for Flying Tigers: Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942--an updated, revised, and somewhat shorter version of my history of the AVG. Who knew that there was so much to be discovered about a 65-year-old story? I've been a student of the AVG for twenty years now, and I'm still learning.

The book is available from Amazon of course: www.amazon.com/dp/0061246557/?tag=annals

Or from me: www.FlyingTigersBook.com (autographed but pricier)

This HarperCollins edition is much improved over what the Smithsonian Institution Press published in 1991, but here's what reviewers said of that edition:

* "A first-rate history of the group and its leader" - Katharine Powers in the Boston Globe

* "War history as it should be written" - Hal Andrews in The Hook (magazine of naval aviation)

* "Totally engrossing--just like reliving those days fifty years ago" - Robert Neale, AVG 1st Squadron

* "Bullsh*t" - R. T. Smith, AVG 3rd Squadron (alas, the Tigers weren't altogether happy to learn that some of their victories aren't borne out by Japanese records, just as Japanese claims tend to evaporate when compared to Allied losses!)

And as for what I've learned since the book was locked up in January, I'm keeping a running score at www.FlyingTigersBook.com/errata.htm

The preface is also posted online: www.FlyingTigersBook.com/preface.htm

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford