View Single Post
Old 11th September 2018, 19:36

Peter Randall
Re: Nickname P-51D 44-13411

The ten kill markings displayed in the photo are of no significance. The next pilot (Werner) would have had them removed as they apply to the pilot and not the aircraft. Any photo is only a snapshot in time.

Monroe last flew QP-Q on 9th August, going home on leave on 19th August. On return, to the 4th FG on 1st November he was assigned a new P-51 44-15146, believed to be QP-N. He crash-landed that at Debden on 11th November due to engine failure on a local flight. Following that he flew four operational missions with 334FS in P-51s coded QP-N (serial uncertain as 334 does not list them in their records). These missions were on 18 December, 2, 6 and 21 January, after that he was transferred to 335FS.
Werner first flew QP-Q on 18th August and then flew it regularly until his loss in it on 20th November. When I say regularly, that means 29 times out of 36 missions.I would say you are on a safe wicket with "Frankie" but if you don't accept what I say, check with Tim McCann at 4th FG Association, as he is the the Secretary and Newsletter editor.