View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:57

RodM is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe Aircraft Loss Reports?

Hi Mike,

firstly, the photo prints with the six-digit frame number references are in RG 242 and should be a part of the collection of Luftgau reports.

I originally obtained around 60-70 pages of A3 copy from these photo prints (two photo prints to an A3 page) via a mail enquiry several years ago. The male NARA archivist involved with the enquiry/order ('sorry, I don't recall his name) informed me that (a) the photo prints were made from microfilm provided by the British, and (b) that he didn't know of the current whereabouts of these films. He also asked that I stop ordering large numbers of photocopies from these photo prints (if I remember correctly, under the pretext that the handling of prints could damage them).

A couple of years later I hired a researcher to photograph the remaining photo prints that I required, and they dealt with the same archivist who handled my original copy order. The researcher was able to go through the original photo prints and photograph all of what I requested.

I should state that I can only assume that at least at that time they held an entire set of photo prints, for the 250-odd frames that I eventually obtained in copy were all from a very select period, and no frames were missing from the lots I obtained.

Unfortunately I no longer have the order sheet, which would provide the exact file reference.

Yes, I do mean fiche 5985 (I see that I actually do have this fiche, I thought that I didn't). Please note that the fiche does not relate to RAF Bomber Command but to the 21st Bomber Command USAAF.

Mark, yes the photo print does relate to the 2TAF Mosquito operations and losses from Clarion on 22 February 1945. The RAF Special Branch files in AIR 40 at TNA also contain a number of translated interrogation reports from captured aircrew from Mosquitoes lost during the operation.

Cheers

Rod

Last edited by RodM; 3rd July 2009 at 16:51.