View Single Post
Old 28th December 2010, 22:37

Marcel van Heijkop is on a distinguished road
Re: Wanted: Crashed Enemy A/C Reports Germany & Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClinA-78 View Post
Hello Marcel,

Are you willing to post your picture of Ju 88 on the Belgian airfield for ID?
I am not aware of any CEAR for wrecks on those airfields.

Best regards

ClinA-78
Hi Clint,

Apart from making posting the pictures work, they actually belong to James V. Crow and I don't know if I'm allowed to post them. You can find one of them on page 253 of Barry Rosch's "Luftwaffe Codes, Markings & Units 1939-1945". (The other two photos show the aircraft from the side and from the front.)

The aircraft in question is Ju 88 S-3 "Z6+HL" of 3./KG66. (The aircraft code is visible on the tail in small white letters, just above the swastika. The aircraft letter "H" is painted in white on the leading edge between the engine and the fuselage.) According to Crow the W.Nr. is 330273. (Not visible in the photos, but maybe the GI who took them recorded it?) The aircraft is heavily damaged: The rear of the fuselage was torn of the rest of the aircraft just behind the wings and is lying at an angle to it. Because the rear has gone, the forward part of the fuselage is heavily leaning over backwards, the legs of the Main Landing Gear are twisted and have no wheels anymore. Engines with nacelles are gone, you can only see where they had been attached to the wings. Cockpit looks like it has been blown up, you can only see the bottom of the cockpit floor with the bomb aimer's and pilot's window panels.

So, no problem regarding the ID of the aircraft itself, but what it's doing at Le culot or Charleroi (if correct) is beyond me.... I was hoping that the CEAR could confirm the location...

Regards,

Marcel