View Single Post
Old 9th February 2006, 22:58

Rabe Anton
Marauder B-26 Targets?

Gruß Gott Norbert!

I strongly suggest that far and away the best reference for Ninth AF medium bomber targets and attacks during the spring of 1945 is Kit C. Carson and Robert Mueller, The Army Air Forces in World War II: Combat Chronology, 1941-1945 (Washington, D.C.: Office of Air Force History, 1973), 990 pages. This volume is a chronological day-by-day summary of all USAAF air operations from the beginning to the end of World War II. Each day is broken down by numbered air forces (Seventh, Eighth, Eleventh, Fifteenth, etc.) with a paragraph or two about that air force's operations on the stated day. Targets (most, but of course, not all) are given, along with categories and numbers of aircraft attacking them (heavy bombers, medium bombers, fighter-bombers, etc.) and tons of bombs dropped. There is a superb 300-page geographic place name index at the back of the book, so all that you have to do is look up a place (even a little place) to see when it was attacked!

Carson and Mueller has been widely distributed. You should be able to find a copy even in Europe without too much trouble. The www.bookfinder.com will doubtless also have a number of copies for sale. I would expect the price to be extremely reasonable.

I do warmly urge you to find Carson and Mueller, for I think it is simply the very best beginning for your research.

Best wishes,

RA