View Single Post
Old 7th December 2014, 06:10
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Looking for crash photos of 12 SQ Fairey Battles from 12.05.40-Garland PHoK P2204 & McIntosh PHoN L5439

Allan,

Thanx for your comment. I agree that the gunner should have at least been awarded some significant medal, but I don't want this thread to get distracted from the focus on finding photos of these two downed 12 SQ Battles. The Squadron lost five Battles on 12 May, and we've got photos of the crashes of three of them in the EoE Photo DB. We still need photos of the other two, including the most significant Battle and its crew lost during the war, and one of the most important incidents involving British participation in the Western Campaign. At a minimum, photos of the force-landed McIntosh plane, PHoN, down at Neerharen, almost certainly exist somewhere.

The crash of Garland and his crew at Lanaken is likely to be more problematic, since it both crashed and burned. It is not clear that any recognizable remains of the aircraft ever existed in photography, so we may have to use unidentified wreck images with captions mentioning the Lanaken area to make the match. If the exact site of the crash can be located today and photographed by someone in Belgium, that might also offer some help in being able to match the background against otherwise unidentified wreck photos. I'm also wondering if the newly released RAF historical files on losses might provide some help. This one is likely going to be tough.

Who can help?