View Single Post
Old 7th November 2013, 00:27

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough
Re: Friendly fire WWII

This is getting to be a long thread, and I must confess to not yet having found the time to read it in its entirety so I apologise if these two have already been mentioned:

1) 452 sqn RAAF, 13.10.41 (Circus 108A).

Bluey Truscott shot at a “German” in his parachute. Quoting the American Historian Donald Caldwell’s history of JG 26: No. 452 Squadron’s P/O “Bluey” Truscott shot at a parachutist, but the action met with the disapproval of his fellow Australian pilots, and it was apparently not repeated. Ironically, no German pilot bailed out on this day, and Truscott’s target was probably Allied.”
The Truscott biography noted that said target took no evasive action and 452 sqn lost a pilot (SGT E P “Happy” Jackson, Spitfire AB852) on his first mission.

2) I have always strongly suspected that Paddy Finucane's kill of 11.7.41 was actually Spitfire II P7562 of Sgt. Alex C Roberts. The reasons being that firstly, Finucane claimed a 'lone Bf109 that was attacking the formation' and secondly, Roberts got separated from the formation at some point and was shot down trying to rejoin it. Or in other words, exactly when he could have given the impression that he was a 'lone Bf109 attacking the formation'...

Cheers
Nick