Thread: Photos 2-12
View Single Post
Old 13th February 2007, 09:29

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Re: Photos 2-12

Gentlemen,

in this selection there are two photos that claim to show Hans-Joachim Marseille and the rudder of his aircraft ( # 140 085 020 061 ). I don't think that this is correct. Neither can I identify the pilot wearing sunglasses and a life vest as Oblt. Marseille nor has the rudder of the Bf 109 G got anything to do with Marseille. It shows much rather the victory tally of one of the Experten of III./JG 77, most likely that of Hptm. Kurt Ubben, whose a/c showed a very similar marking on the rudder while Ubben was still serving in the East. So dear bidders, don't go berserk for these two shots in the vain hope that you might have found some missing link in the Marseille history.

Then there is a photo # 140 084 994 901 that purportedly shows Gordon Gollob and Gerhard Michalski. Again this captioning seems rather dubious - for once, the pilot standing on the left side is without any doubt Hptm. Kurt Ubben of III./JG 77 whereas the one on the right bears some resemblance with Gordon Gollob but I'm not yet prepeared to buy it for that.

Conclusion: Whatever the late grandpa of this seller did in Africa, judging from these two photos he was not with 3./JG 27 or Hans-Joachim Marseille. In fact all these photos were taken after Marseille's death.

In case I haven't done it before: Dear Ed West, many thanks for your relentless and unselfish work. Your posts are the highlight when I start my PC in the morning. Carry on the good work !

Regards

Jochen Prien