View Single Post
Old 18th June 2012, 13:24

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Rocket and Jet Aircraft of the Third Reich, by Terry C. Treadwell

I promised I would write a review of this book once I had received a copy. In a nutshell, the book is a huge disappointment. One of the first things I look for are the resource notes, chapter notes, bibliography, and acknowledgements. There were none. It was immediately clear that the captions to the photos were pretty useless, some being no better than "pretty picture", while others were simply erroneous. I went to the 3 major reference works to see if I could identify the source of the material: (1) Me 262, by Smith & Creek, (2) Jet Planes of the Third Reich, by Smith & Creek, and (3) Warplanes of the Third Reich, by William Green. It appears that Treadwell used the Green book for much of his information.

As if this weren't enough, the book is full of technical errors, indicating a huge lack of familiarity with the details of the subject aircraft - or even worse - not giving a damn to get things right.

I had hopes for better, a lot better, but the naysayers above turned out to be correct.

Regards,
Richard

Last edited by Richard T. Eger; 19th June 2012 at 00:29.