Thread: Tunisian losses
View Single Post
Old 24th March 2005, 13:52

Christer Bergström is on a distinguished road
Re: Tunisian losses

I've found quite a few losses which aren't in the Genqu listings. Anyway, I see no reason to completely dismiss the Luftwaffe loss reports (Genqu or Summarische Verlustmeldungen). By comparing Genqu with first-hand material such as unit war diaries and logbooks, I get the impression that an absolute majority of the Luftwaffe losses are listed in the Genqu material.

Quote:
Do you suggest that you have seen a representative sample of KTBs and FBs?

I don’t know what your criteria for “a representative sample of KTBs and FBs” is, and neither do I know why you ask that question. I have a number of Luftwaffe unit KTBs (some are copies from Bundesarchiv and some from various private archives) and FBs. By comparing those with Luftwaffe loss reports (Genqu or Summarische Verlustmeldungen) I have found some losses which are mentioned in the former sources but not in the latter sources, but the absolute majority of the losses mentioned in KTBs or FBs are also listed in Genqu or Summarische Verlustmeldungen. Altogether, the KTBs and FBs which I have, have a total a sum of a couple of thousand Luftwaffe aircraft losses, maybe 10 % of all Luftwaffe losses, or maybe less than 10 %. Is that a statistically reliable sample, according to the rules for sample polls etc? I don’t know, since I am no educated statistician. Maybe someone here knows such stuff better than the rest of us?

Quote:
are there any German loss reports?

I don’t know what your criteria for “German loss reports” is. The answer could be yes or it could be no, depending on which criteria you use.

Christer Bergström

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/