View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2011, 18:52

ianatheling is on a distinguished road
Photo of Ju160 on eastern front?

On eBay here there is a fascinating photo of a number of German aircraft on the eastern front. There are a couple of wrecked Bf109s and Hs123. One Hs123 is still perhaps airworthy, but the most noticeable aircraft is a Junkers Ju 160D-0. I have this as Ju160D-0, WNr. 4244, initially with Lufthansa from April 1936 as D-AUIQ. In early 1941 it transferred to the Luftwaffe and served with JFS 3 at Stop-Reitz, coded RC+KO.

The photo however shows a stage of the history unknown to me. The aircraft still has its DHL name of SILBERFUCHS but there is also a new Luftwaffe emblem attached. It would appear that the Ju160 did not follow JFS 3 when it transferred to Grove in June 1941.

The emblem resembles that of III./JG 77. However the seller indicates that this is from a series of photos taken by a member of the 20.Pz.Gren.Div in the Leningrad-Volkhov (Wolchow) area. I assume that this is actually the 20.Infanterie Div, since this photo appears to be in the 1941-2 period. 20.Infanterie Div only became the 20.Pz.Gren.Div in 1943. The location would also probably rule out III./JG 77 as the emblem for the Ju160, since they were in the southern sector.

Does anyone know anything else about this aircraft…or the photo.

cheers

Ian