View Single Post
Old 17th October 2020, 09:42
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about
Re: Robert Spreckels

Thanks for the prompt Stig

Only four of Spreckles claims are found on the microfilms, so these should be considered as FACT:-

25th June 1943 B-17 at 7500 metres 0907 hrs
25th June 1943 B-17 at 7500 metres 0925 hrs

These were claimed as an Unteroffizier with 2./JG11. This Staffels earlier typed-out mikrofilms have not survived, but on 17th April 1943 it started listing on the daily claims mikrofilm for the West which ended on 5th December 1944. These are complete with the exception of those in January 1944, but are covered by the Staffels date and time only mikrofilm.

16th June 1944 Mosquito South of Hadsund at 600 metres 1124 hrs
25th June 1944 Mosquito Skjern area at only 25 metres and at 1205 hrs

Both of these were as a Feldwebel with Ast./JG11.

It is possible that he claimed prior to 17th April 1943 with 2./JG11, or with another Staffel, or after December 1944, and he is thought to have claimed two Sowiet aircraft during this latter time.

Date of Birth I have of 14th March 1943. Not much else known, but he has almost certainly died post war. Final rank Oberfeldwebel. For the reason listed above I did not number his claims....because of the possibility of previous claims to those listed.

Prien has done some superb work on multiple units, but sometimes used guesses for claims he had dates for i.e date and time given only, sometimes he was correct, sometimes he was not. Any claims other than the four he had previously listed within the time-frame 17th April 1943 until December 1944 will be incorrect, those previous to that date are guesses, and if he was incorrect during the time-frame ones, there is no reason to believe those prior would be correct as it would appear he is not working this case using Spreckles flugbuch or any other reliable source. Those Prien is correct with with other pilots is because he used a reliable source of some sort. Naturally there is always the possibility of unconfirmed claims during the time-frame.

Kind Regards

Johannes