View Single Post
Old 16th January 2010, 12:37

AllanK is on a distinguished road
Re: Technical drawings at archives

Hi,

Stefaan, some time ago I did a very basic list of some of the material that the National Archives hold on the Stirling for a research project which hasn't yet got under way.

As said above, what you will find there are a lot of technical reports on the aircraft, its performance, technical developments (many failed ideas as well as those put into service). There will be a number of Short Brothers drawings to be spread throughout those files and would not be surprised to find perhaps 200+ drawings, but with only one or two in a file and no way of knowing what is there without going and looking in the files - and there are a lot of files.

200 drawings is going to be nowhere near enough to build a Stirling but, knowing the Stirling project fairly well, I would imagine there will be one or two in there that will be of use to them. It wouldn't surprise me to find they've already had a look around in the archives, but it is time consuming.

At the moment I'm busy with flying boat research but if I ever make a start on the Stirling work then my intention is to create a list of any drawings found so the project can decide what might be of use to them. If anybody else wants to have a go before me, then they would have my support. Worth asking the project first so as not to duplicate work already done though

AllanK