View Single Post
Old 30th October 2013, 23:34

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Need confirmation of photo claimed to be taken at airfield at Mühldorf

Dear All,

In another thread dealing with Berglern and the airfield at Erding, RolandF pointed me toward a photo in Wings of the Black Cross, Number Seven, page 2 that shows Me 262 mid/rear bare metal fuselages claimed to be at the airfield at Mühldorf. Photos on the next 3 pages are also claimed to be taken at this airfield, but it is specifically the one on page 2 that I would like confirmation about. There is a white tower in the background which might be a control tower or part of a church.

I suspect that the introductory remarks as they pertain to this photo are incorrect. While there was a carapace facility under construction at Mühldorf (Weingut I), it never went into service. Me 262 mid/rear fuselages were only worked on at 3 facilities, none of them anywhere near Mühldorf. Two were to the east. My suspicion is that the mid/rear fuselages seen in the photo were pulled off of a train headed west and dumped postwar at the airfield. Of course, if this isn't Mühldorf, then the story could be quite different. Thus, can anyone identify for sure where this photo was taken?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Richard