View Single Post
Old 15th July 2005, 02:55

tagjagd is on a distinguished road
Re: NEW BOOK - LUFTWAFFE & THE WAR AT SEA

Don't sweat it, David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidIsby
I am sure he will be as grateful to me as I was to Dr. Kitchen for calling my attention that including sourcing details would be a good idea.
Just in case it wasn't obvious, Rabe Anton = James Kitchens.

Quote:
Mr. Anton is not entitled to say that material should remain out of print or only in microfilm in archives and thus unavailable to most of the readers of this board until it is tucked between hard covers to his satisfaction in company with what he sees as sufficient synthesis.
By Rabe's reckoning, you obviously haven't suffered enough for your art. You need to have secluded yourself for several years in dark, dank vaults, rifling through unfiled scraps of paper and microfilm, fighting fishmoths and bureaucrats. Only after you emerge, emaciated and riddled with paper cuts, might you consider yourself a card-carrying historian.

Quote:
If we had to follow Mr. Anton’s alleged standards, all the books should not have appeared.
Rabe routinely disses works by non-doctoral hacks. He bemoans the fact that amateur historians are selling books, making money, and (horrors!) enjoying it. The only people he despises more are the pondscum enthusiasts buying said books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Isby
Mr. Anton should certainly edit a collection of Luftwaffe accounts that, in his opinion, would meet his (and that’s what they are, HIS, not that expected of such works) requirements.
Well, he did put out that monumental tome, "Flying Aces". His follow-up, the definitive booklet on Marseille's 109s (sans photos, no less), has been at the printers for over four years now...