View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2007, 00:19

brianx13 is on a distinguished road
Me 109's or Fw 190's?

I have conflicting reports on which fighters attacked a particular B-17 raid. The raid was the 384th BG / 544 BS from Grafton Underwood and the target was Villacoublay, France. It was June 26, 1943. The bombers left at 4:00 PM (1600 hrs). There was not much flak (weather problems) but the fighters showed up just fine. They must have gotten to my grandfathers plane (42-30031) early because they had just started their run on the target and two engines were in flames. The EE report lists both FW's (typed in side column) and Me109's (handwritten by my grandfather). Maybe both planes attacked, I am not sure. I am trying to find the ones that shot the B-17 down and the fighters that were shot down by grandfather (the Me 109's). The idea is put the events of June 26th into a timeline as to how these two groups ended up in the skies over France one fateful day. I have had some help from this forum already and if I can figure this out I beleive it will aid them further. I hope I have listed everything needed for the puzzle. I have the plane's crash site as:

"F-RAGAI'NE. BEZU. la.FORET EURE.FRANCE"

6km west of Gisors / à 6 km à l'ouest de Gisors : according to B17-france.org (also lists FW 190's as the attackers).

Thanks again,
Brian