View Single Post
Old 19th January 2013, 13:01

mjbollinger is on a distinguished road
Re: Using Ultra to research the Luftwaffe

Hi everyone,

I am researching the role of ULTRA in shaping US policy with respect to the war in the Atlantic prior to 7 December 1941. My hypothesis is that Churchill provided information derived from ULTRA to the US administration in order to influence that policy. (One such case is well documented: the order from the Fuhrer to U-Boat commanders in June 1941 ordering them not to engage any US warships or any destroyers at all.)

I have downloaded all of the relevant DEFE 3 files. A friend is gradually photographing the HW 1 files. I currently have copies of HW 1/1 through HW 1/41 with HW 1/42 through HW1/305 still waiting to be photographed.

What I don't have now are any decrypts from the Luftwaffe, which brings me to HW 5. HW 5/1 through 5/8 cover the period prior to the introduction of the DEFE files and HW 5/9 through 5/42 covers the rest of the period of interest and overlaps with available DEFE 3 files.

First question: does anyone already have electronic versions of any HW 1 files from HW 1/42 through HW 1/305 that they are willing to share/sell?

Second question: does anyone have electronic versions of HW 5 up through HW 5/42 that they are willing to share/sell?

Third question: have I missed someting in DEFE 3? For the period prior to December 1941, DEFE 3 only includes the ZTP/ZTPG, OL and MK series covering, none of which covers Luftwaffe operations in the Atlantic. Are there other series in DEFE 3 with records prior to December 1941?

Fourth question: for those who have looked at both DEFE 3 and HW 5 files from February to December 1941, what will I miss if I only look at DEFE 3 files. I'm told that HW 5 adds more detail of an operational and logistical nature and that if information was of strategic or tactical importance, it would have been included in DEFE 3. Bottom line: do I need to get HW 5 files from February to Decemebr 1941 as well? Remember, I'm looking for information that if provided to the US might have shaped US policy in the Atlantic (e.g., British successes in the Battle of Britain, termination of Operation Sea Lion, etc.), not low-level operational or logistical details.

Many thanks

Marty Bollinger