View Single Post
Old 28th February 2013, 21:37

Steve Coates will become famous soon enoughSteve Coates will become famous soon enough
Re: Using Ultra to research the Luftwaffe

I put a query to the PRO last year about the possibility of digitising HW5. This is their response:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Government Code and Cypher School: German Section: Reports of German Army and Air Force High Grade Machine Decrypts in The National Archives catalogue reference HW 5.

At present we have no plans to digitise this series and make it available online, but it is a series worthy of investigation, not least because it is fascinating and because it highlights the extraordinary work carried out by the intelligence service during World War II.

Prior to digitisation we need to assess the extent of any physical damage to the record series so as to determine the amount of conservation work required before scanning of the records can take place - as you know, we have a responsibility to preserve the integrity of the original document so digitisation cannot take place on any document until we have had the go-ahead from our Collection Care Department.

We also hold an in-house bi-monthly Forum where digitisation proposals are discussed and the appropriate resource can be allocated to digitise. HW 5 is a relatively small series of some 700+ pieces but would nevertheless therefore require significant resource to digitise either from The National Archives ourselves or from one of our commercial or academic partners.

I am sorry that I am unable at this stage to say exactly if this series will be available online but I wish to assure you that we do treat all such enquiries seriously whether they be from staff or members of the public. If and when we have firm details of any digitisation project concerning HW 5, we will publicise them.

Unfortunately. it's not likely to happen any time soon.