View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2018, 20:32

25Kingman49 is on a distinguished road
Re: Chi Chi Jima incident, Japanese War Crimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Leonard View Post
A war diary and a deck log are not the same thing. A war diary is a generalized description of events and movements, some maddeningly vague, others in excruciating detail as I'm sure you've discovered at Fold3. A deck log, which btw are not found in Fold3 to my knowledge, is usually a watch by watch accounting of shipboard activity signed off by the OOW at the end of each watch. In the carrier world there is a flight deck log which amongst other things is a detail of launches and recoveries. A really well maintained flight deck long includes bunos.
Thank you, Rich.
Frank has been tutoring me off forum related to CV operations and documents from this Chichi Jima attack related to Yorktown (CV-10) on 4 July 1944. I believe it is okay to share, no prohibition was noted. Understand I've cropped these pages down to just the document (likely removing document provenance) and greatly reduced them in size for posting here.

Frankly, I'm an AAF student originally. It is painfully obvious to me my USN aviation understanding has a long road ahead. To be perfectly candid my post 18 confusion related to the Yorktown War Diary I mistook the number of aircraft by type being launched i.e. Flight #2. 15 VF, 8 VT, 15 VB with "Group" identifiers such as VF-15, VT-8; feeling pretty stupid presently. Time to withdraw and study harder in silence.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."- referenced - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Last edited by 25Kingman49; 14th January 2018 at 00:26.