View Single Post
Old 6th January 2018, 02:56
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: Highest scoring B-29

RSwank,
I took a look at the Fold3 material that you linked, out of curiosity. I am not sure it is free; I had to log in. In any case, looking at the contents, I have to conclude that this is not an original document. It looks more like something prepared in Excel, or the output of an Access report. So my first question would be, what is the original source for these listings? The next thing I noted is that the mission list has a gap from Nov 5 to Nov 24. Did the 497th fly no missions in this period?

If my guess that this is something prepared by Fold3 (or possibly given to Fold3) I do not find it surprising that there could be a gap, considering all the gaps that apparently have never been filled in the MACR collection (which ought to be totally revised to use the unique MACR number, instead of the aircraft serial number, which can be missing or duplicated). Thus one needs to find the original source documents, and go back to them. These documents are probably in NARA II, since Fold3 has developed a relationship with NARA.

So someone needs to find and review the original documents.

Enjoy!

Frank.