View Single Post
Old 20th April 2023, 17:15
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Help ID RAF Grid Reference S.1676

Steve, good afternoon.

Thank you so much. I did not know this site and link...and am digesting the information slowly. I have tried to use the system presented there...but got no joy at all in identifying the correct place am looking for.

The RAF grid reference S.1676 is mentioned on the Combat Report of then Squadron Leader W. P. Green, DFC from 85 Squadron on the night of 26/27 July 1943 on File AIR 50/36/187.

From what I understood and from other sources, it seems the combat ocurred close to Dunkirk or on the Belgian border.

According to the site you passed me (http://www.echodelta.net/mbs/grillesj/norddeguerre.htm) the Grid Reference should have been mentioned either as vG or qC; and not as S.1676, as we do have on the Combat Report.

When using vS.1676 I got a coordinate somewhere deep in the middle of the Bristol Channel...not at all related to the actual combat of S/L Green, DFC....who claimed a Ju 88 from 1(F)/121 that night....

I have tried other variations, but invariably I got nowhere close to the French coast, as mentioned on the combat report!.....

Any clues or other help?

Adriano