View Single Post
Old 13th October 2019, 13:51

rof120 is on a distinguished road
A question about the air battle between GC I/3 and II./JG 27 on June 9, 1940

I mentioned this air battle in my post # 6 in this thread. Dewoitine 520s (12 it seems) fought II./JG 27, resulting in the loss of 6 Me 109s destroyed and 2 German pilots killed (a total of 6 were missing including Gruppenkommandeur Hautptmann Werner Andres but 4 came back later), with one D.520 damaged (belly-landing). "German" details found in the history ("Dokumentation"...) of JG 27 published in German by Hans Ring and Werner Girbig (Motorbuch Verlag publishing company, Stuttgart) - 7th editon or rather printing batch 1991 (pages 46-47), and also in Jochen Prien's volume 3 of "Die Jagdfliegerverbände..." and Peter Cornwell's TBOFTN. "French" details from several authors using the French archive, like Paul Martin, "avions" authors of "Les as français", and also P. Cornwell. A remark: even II./JG 27's Gruppenkommandeur Hauptmann Andres was shot down by the "hopeless" French fighters. Andres was certainly not a beginner nor a poor fighter pilot (not Werner Mölders either - shot down by the French on June 5, 1940).

What I don't know is the numerical strength of the German formation (anything is possible from 8 to 12 or 24-28 at most I think). I have got a copy of the book "Jagdgeschwader 27" by (IIRC) Ring and Girbig. They report this air battle too but without telling us how many 109s were involved. JG 27's morale, or at least II./JG 27's, was shattered by these heavy losses. Jochen Prien mentions this event (JFV N° 3) but with no details at all except in the loss list : pilots' names etc.

Who knows more or can give a pointer to the missing information? My heartiest thanks in advance.

Last edited by rof120; 17th October 2019 at 16:00.