View Single Post
Old 9th March 2020, 15:23

rof120 is on a distinguished road
EOE - Eagles over Europe (project)

Very numerous enthusiasts were thrilled by the perspective of getting and reading these highly promising volumes on air war over Europe from September, 1939 through December, 1940: the aerial campaigns and fighting over Poland, the French-German border area ("Poney War" 1939-40), the Campaign in Scandinavia (April-May, 1940: Norway and Denmark too), the French Campaign (May-June, 1940) and the Battle of Britain (July-October, 1940) and its aftermath (November-December 1940)..

Unfortunately it seems that the whole project has been shelved (abandoned), much to our chagrin, especially mine.

As I already mentioned (near the end of the previous, very long EOE thread) it should be comparatively easy to publish whatever has materialized, in particular the English translation of the very large Weiss manuscript on 1940 Luftwaffe operations (written in German), and also thousands of fascinating photographs (there are 50,000 by now) as well as colour profiles and whatever the EOE team managed to write. I am a typital, average enthusiast myself and I am convinced that the production and release of such volumes would be profitable in any case. Just have a look at the thread I started on "French fighters' scores, mainly 1940" (Allied forum here) - a limited topic. Up till now there were over 7,700 views, and it's still going strong. $$$ here, this should not be neglected by Larry's publishing company and their EOE project.

Larry Hickey's publishing company was NOT idle in the last years. Until relatively recently there was only one existing (for sale) volume* in the "Eagles over the Pacific" series and a lot of projects and volumes being written. This has changed for today we can purchase no less than six (6) different, fascinating volumes. Here is the URL:

https://irandpcorp.com/about-ihra//

Here is an extract from the home-page:

"In Europe, through our Eagles Over Europe project, we have undertaken a massive effort to fully document the history of the first 16 months of the air war in Europe from September 1, 1939 to December 31, 1940. This includes the story of the participants and those effected by the action on all sides of the air war from the Polish Campaign, and continuing in the west through the so-called Phoney War (Sitzkrieg), the Scandinavian Campaign, the Western (French) Campaign, the Battle of Britain to well into “The Blitz.” This project utilizes many avenues of research not previously available for such an effort, networking many of the foremost authors, historians, researchers, photo collectors, artists, mapmakers and translators, currently from 14 different countries, into an informal group that will ultimately produce a massive and definitive, multi-volume series of books and e-publications covering both the human and technical side of the story of the air war in Europe during this period. To date, the members of the EoE project have assembled over 50,000 photos and acquired an immense collection of research data from which thousands of pages have been translated into English from source materials in the Polish, Norwegian, French, Dutch and German languages. For the German side of the air war, Larry has acquired and translated the most thorough and complete account ever compiled for that period, some 6000 pages in length, that has never before been published in any language." (…)

* Warpath Across the Pacific. It earned many excellent reviews and compliments to author Larry Hickey.

One of the newer volumes was released 2019,
another one 2016.

It would be nice to get an up-to-date "report" from Larry himself. He was very active here at TOCH for quite a few years. I'll contact him in any case.

"Usual disclaimer"

Last edited by rof120; 15th March 2020 at 16:34.