View Single Post
Old 30th December 2004, 15:12

Rabe Anton
Bf 109G-2 WNr. 10 438 and Blaue Kennzeichen

Servus Charles Bavaroise!

I have read your comments regarding the loss of Bf 109G-2, III./JG 54 aircraft in January 1943, and blue Truppenkennzeichen. Charles, I cannot explain the discrepancies in aircraft inventory reports for III./JG 54 in January 1943, but I can say for certain that 7./JG 54 applied BLUE Tr.KZ to at least some of its aircraft (Bf 109F-4s) as early as the spring of 1942. I have contempory color photographs from the collection of Werner Pichon-Kalau vom Hofe, Oblt. u. Stkp. 7./JG 54 up to ca. June 1942, clearly showing blue Tr.KZ and various unit emblems (Grünherz, "Flying Clog," usw.) applied to 7. Staffel machines during ca. March 1942 [sic].

These photographs, in addition to various loss and casualty reports, unquestionably document that at least some 7./JG 54 aircraft bore BLUE Tr.KZ as early as the late spring of 1942 [sic]. I further believe that during 1942 some lost or damaged aircraft from 7. Staffel that had blue numbers were actually REPORTED as having WHITE numbers. White was the authorized and usual color for the 7. Staffel, of course, as you know, and I suspect that unit clerks sometimes simply wrote the usual "white" instead of the actual "blue." I do not think the substitution of blue for white numbers was universal in the 7. Staffel, but I'm absolutely sure that blue numbers could be found on some of the unit's Bf 109F-4s and Bf 109G-2s.

There is also black-and-white photographic evidence (from ca. August-September 1942) that 7./JG 54 applied blue numbers on the first Bf 109G-2s that it received. For example, see the widely published official photograph said at Siverskaya, USSR, in the summer of 1942 showing a Bf 109G-2 marked 10 + ~ of 7./JG 54 in company with a Stab III./JG 54 Bf 109G-2 marked <I + ~ . Comparison of the white Stab markings with the tone of the "10" clearly shows that the "10" and the "~" must be blue and not white.

A little off the track, but I believe that the reason for the blue Tr.KZ is obvious: white tactical numbers simply did not show up adequately against white upper surface camouflage paint.

Best wishes!

RA