View Single Post
Old 26th April 2017, 12:27

newtonbear9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Blenheim L9181 57 Sqn April 11, 1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gleeson View Post
Paul,

I cannot identify Simpson by initial or service number in the 57 Squadron ORB or Appendices. Simpson as an Observer continued to fly operationally until the end of October 1940 with Sgt, Greenleaf as his pilot. On 12 November 1940 Sgt. Greenleaf along with his observer (Simpson) were posted to 13 OTU.
That is as much as I can find. Looking at the entries for 13 OTU in Bill Chorley's OTU Losses volume it seems he was able to obtain initials for all or most of the NCO aircrew, even if they were not killed. Does this mean the 13 OTU ORB was better kept than most ? If anyone has access to a copy could they please check for the above airman.

Regards,

Martin.
My father was Colyn Angus Simpson,he joined the R.A.F. in about 1927. He was a gunner and later a navigator,observer and flew with Sgt. Greenleaf many times. He was in Iraq and India before the war 84th and 39th Squadrons. Then 101,110 and 57th. After t hat 17,24,26 and 13 O.T.U. After that 180 Squadron Belgium. He left the R.A.F. in 1946 with the rank of Fl.Lt.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Amanda Quick