View Single Post
Old 16th December 2017, 10:48

sidney is on a distinguished road
Re: Jabo staffel JG 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by halus901 View Post

The emblem from the Karl Ries' Photo Collection would be interesting, particularly if it is considered to have been adopted from the JG 27 jabo staffel?

Jack
10.(Jabo)/JG 53 emblem: A white-bordered black aerial bomb striking a map of Malta in black

The motif was a reference to the Staffel’s task; formed in the beginning of February 1942, 10.(Jabo)/JG 53 was tasked with neutralizing the RAF airfields on Malta, the island situated in proximity of the Axis shipping routes to North Africa.

In their book JFV 8/II, page 257, the authors stated that: "Nach der Verlegung nach Nordafrika wurde der Umriss Maltas durch den Umriss des afrikanischen Kontinentes ersetzt"

Lose translation: "After the (Staffel's - 10.(Jabo)/JG 53) transfer to North Africa, the silhouette of Malta was replaced with the silhouette of the African continent..."

Sometime later, 10.(Jabo)/JG 53 became a part of the so-called Jabogruppe Afrika as I believe its 1. Staffel.
--------------------------------------------------------
My reading of the above is that the short-lived Jabogruppe Afrika either adopted the 10.(Jabo)/JG 53 emblem (i.e., not 10.(Jabo)/JG 27 emblem), or perhaps it never did - it was just left as it was on the formerly 10.(Jabo)/JG 53 machines.

This is of course providing that some new evidence to the contrary resurfaced in the meantime - the aforementioned book was published sometime in 2004, I believe.