View Single Post
Old 24th September 2012, 12:17

SES
Re: In General, What is Everyone Doing?

Hi,
I guess my interest also started with the Luftwaffe fighter aircraft, but since I am also interested in the history of air warfare it snowballed. I slowly discovered, that much of what had been written up till the 1970 - 1980 time-frame was not quite correct (to put it politely). Photos of late Bf109 were incorrectly captioned and nowhere could a correct description of a Bf109K be found.
Also most writers focused on aircraft types and unit histories, which valuable as they are, do not give a consolidated picture at the operational level.
I got fascinated by the control and reporting system developed by the Luftwaffe and the multitude of radar systems (no radar was not invented by Watson-Watt), and realized that there were still lots of unpublished material out there. This lead to an interest in Luftwaffe fighters command facilities, which seems to have been a totally ignored subject - even amongst the bunker freaks, and an interest in the development of the fighter command organization.
This in turn lead to an interest in all types of Luftwaffe infrastructure. The result was three books and my WEB-site www.gyges.dk
But without the Internet and e-mail and a LOT of help from a very large number of helpful and generous friends I would be as ignorant as I were back in the eighties.
Kind regards
SES