View Single Post
Old 27th January 2005, 04:30

ArtieBob will become famous soon enough
P-47 vs P-51

When I was growing up during WW II, all I wanted to be was a fighter pilot and fly either a p-38 or P-51. In my old age, having survived 50 years of flying off and on, I would now make the choice of flying P-47s rather than P-51s. This would be based on the chances of surviving the war and IIRC, there are statistics around that indicates the survival rate of P-47 aces is appreciably higher than that of P-51 aces.

IMHO, this is significant not only from a personal survival desire, but also real military considerations. An aircraft (and pilot) that survives combat longer is more valuable and in the final analysis, the mission and life cyle (no pun intended) cost can be less that a lower first cost aircraft. The other side of the coin is that by 1944, a number of fighters were effective flying machines, German, GB, USSR and USA. These designs all had areas of the performance envelope that they were better in and embodied trade offs to enhance certain combat characteristics over others. The probability of success in any specific encounter was as much the result of level of pilot training , proficiency, tactics, situational awareness, local conditions and relative energy state than the nationality or aircraft type.

Of the WWII fighter pilots, I have talked to, most seemed to believe the type he flew was the best. I believe to a certain degree, this is true, as follows. For a fighter pilot with a total flight time of 400-800 hours, the majority of combat being in a particular type, the plane he has flown is the best, for he understands the limitations and particular vices of that machine and how to deal with them. Be aware, no WWII fighter was viceless and could kill it’s pilot in an instant of low attention or poor airmanship. Pilots with more and varied experience might be able to step from one type to another and be instantly effective, but those are the exception.

Because of tradeoffs, a particular aircraft type might be best for a specific mission, all things being equal. But, in the real world this is almost never the case. A mission best suited to the characteristics of the P-51 might have those advantages nullified by poor tactics and crews of lesser experience or abilities and a well flown P-47 might have produced better results. But in the end, these two aircraft (along with several other types on both sides) were really close in capabilities and which one was better would depend on the mission, the pilot and the day. So, even with the very best technical data, there are no easy black and white answers, the devil is as usual, in the details.

Best regards,

Artie Bob