View Single Post
Old 29th April 2011, 01:20
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Looking ID of these photos of downed 142 SQ Battles during the WC

Iain,

Thanks for your most useful comments on this thread and on the one regarding 103 SQ. We have approximately 1000 Battle photos in our EOE data base, the vast majority being crashes and crash-landings during the WC, and we're trying, with a lot of help, to sort this all out.

After reviewing our 30 or so photos of QToH destroyed in its stand, it is obvious after examining the photos that this would be K9259. There is a small bomb crater in the dirt just behind the starboard wing root, which has sprayed dirt and debris all over that wing. The Plexiglas is also pretty much blown out of the cockpit panels. There is shrapnel damage to the fuselage skin, and the undercarriage has been blown off. The photos of the plane out in the clear, appear to me to be the same a/c having been towed away from the stand, so they are very likely the same a/c. With this ID, I think that it clears up these two on the initial list that I posted.

Many photos seem to confirm that QToL probably had no SN painted on it. This is based on good photos of both sides of the rear fuselage and the rudder area. The other QToL I'm almost certain was one of the two that went down on a raid in the Boulogne area on Aug. 22, 1940.

I'll address your comments about QToF in a separate post after I've had a chance to study this more, and compare notes with Peter Cornwell.

Regards,

Last edited by Larry Hickey; 29th April 2011 at 04:15.