Thread: Macchi c.202
View Single Post
Old 26th August 2019, 09:45
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Macchi c.202

I agree it seems Italian authors have taken dates from a common source (unknown to me)
However I am a bit doubtful about these dates since some are not very logic

Looking at the Macchi production
MM7709 - 7858 May 41 - Feb 42 (serie II/III)
MM9023 - 9122 April 42 - July 42 (serie VII)
MM9389 - 9488 Sep 41 - Feb 42 (alt Sep 42 - March 43) (serie IX)

What strikes me first is
a) Why would Macchi start to build aircraft ordered later and produce two batches at the same time (III and IX)? From a logic point of view the alternative production period is thus far better, unless we believe that Macchi started up two production lines and/or worked double/triple shifts for six months and after that, when the war situation became really critical, forgot all about it...
b) What did the workers do in March 1942 and in Aug 1942 (alternative production period)? Did they get a well deserved holiday? Most of us would probably say rather unlikely. Did they move back and forth to other production lines? Were these production lines so general that basically anything could be built on them for one month and then shift back again to building 202s? Were the factory bombed out and production at a stand still? First two options feels both unlikely and very inefficient. I don't know if the third option is viable or not. At least March 1942 feels unlikely

So unless someone can pinpoint at least some exact delivery dates I would say these delivery periods are rather superficial and should be treated with caution. Also the alternative production period feels much more logic than the normally accepted one found in all the books listed by Fabrizio.

Finally Gregory Alegi puts total delivered C.202 at 1128

Cheers
Stig

PS: The basic production period of batch IX could of course have an initial printing error (copied by everyone else) and be Sep 1942 - Feb 1943

Last edited by Stig Jarlevik; 26th August 2019 at 09:47. Reason: PS added