View Single Post
Old 19th February 2006, 22:30

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
Re: Remnants of Detachment Kuhlmey's FW-190A "Black 12" found at Helsinki-Malmi Airport

Hello!

Very interesting theme where I would like to insert a sideline.

Mr. Bobek, did your article deal with the aerial battles over Estonia Summer 1944? Namely, on Eric Mombeek's homepage ( http://www.luftwaffe.be ) there is listed herr Koller's Flugbuch and the locations he flew from. I quote:

"...Petseri, Joriza, Wesenberg, Helsinki, Imola, Reval, Latre, Jewe, Wenden, Oberpahlen, Tuagel, Riga ..."
(or more correctly Petseri, Idriza, Helsinki, Immola, Reval (or Tallinn), Laatre (small Estonian pre-war reserve airfield), Jewe (in Estonian Jõhvi, ex NSGr 11 airfield), Wenden (Cēsis, Latvia), Oberpahlen ( Põltsamaa, Estonia, btw III/SG3 was also based there late Summer 1944), Türgel (Türi, Estonia, may have been temporary field (in the real sense of word?)), Riga ..."

All of the Estonian places named above are more than interesting for me:
- The Laatre basing is probably related to the transfer of troops to Southern Estonia by airlift (I am not sure if this was done or only planned, anyway Laatre was to be the arrival location).
- The basing at Jewe/Jõhvi might explain why 3./NSGr 11 was sent for a day or two to south and then made to come back (if it was in the time it seems have been).
- Also the Türi is interesting because as far as I know there was no real airfield there at WW2 time. This was just before II/JG54 left Estonia for good so it may have been diversion from expected Soviet air attack?

Like you see herr Koller's story of the July-August 1944 fighting over Estonia would be of great importance to me. As much as his time in Finland (although Hannu Valtonen's book about Commando Kuhlmey includes Koller's info too.).

I will keep my eyes open.

Cheers,
Kari