View Single Post
Old 6th April 2005, 22:28

Smudger Smith
Re: Fighter pilots' guts

YES the RAF could have done much more over the continent but afterwards it could have done only much less over England and this would have compromised the outcome of the BoB very seriously. Most RAF losses were non-combat losses, mainly AC which had to be left behind because the German ground troops were approaching (same thing for the Armée de l'Air but it was worse for the RAF, which was stationed closer to Belgium). This is not a satisfying way of losing precious aircraft. What I mean is that on the continent many RAF AC would have been lost just like that, to no avail without having been really useful. They wouldn't have changed the outcome. For this you need an incredible air superiority, like 1944 over Normandy (remember that the Luftwaffe never could be prevented from bombing and strafing Allied troops).[/quote]

I am sorry but the above remarks are not only factually incorrect they defy belief.

What more could the RAF have done. Like any conflict, you use the recourses available to you with discretion; you never commit all your available force at once. Remember Napoleon !!. There’s an old English saying, I quote, ‘ Don’t put all your egg’s in one basket ’

A question, What if RAF Fighter Command had committed it’s entire strength over France, would it have had any real effect on the ground campaign. The British Army was ill equipped but committed, the French was in a similar position. The German Army in 1940 was an effective “MODERN” army. The presence of Spitfires and Hurricanes would not have stemmed the advance, it may have slowed it down. What would the cost have been to Fighter Command, 50% casualties ?. What would the outcome of the BoB have been with 50% fewer fighters. ! Yes I accept that the Luftwaffe would have received a mauling also, however would they have lost sufficient numbers to postpone the planned invasion. !

What about the losses suffered by the Fairey Battle & Bristol Blenheim squadrons, their heroic action against Maastricht, Sedan and various other targets.

The bravery of these fine young men is unsurpassed; their sacrifice in the face of over whelming odds is unparallel. They are a credit to the RAF and their generation.

The aircraft left behind were left because the were write-off’s due to enemy action or mechanical failure, not because of the approach of the German Army. The RAF was not in the habit of leaving flyable aircraft for the enemy.

I feel a large gin and a pint of best is required to steady myself.