View Single Post
Old 24th September 2005, 15:31

Marius is on a distinguished road
Re: Bombing civilian targets by the Luftwaffe?

Ironrat,

[As we all agree, there were no troops at Frampol and the town had no strategic value, especially that German troops were soon to enter it without any resistance. I will not say - because it was a town mainly inhabited by Jews....
Anyway, the question remains, why? No matter what is or will be the answer to that question, it was a purely civilian target and a war crime.]

The question is if we all in fact agree? As I wrote on 13th September German troops were nearby. What makes you so sure there were no Polish troops in the area? What makes you so sure the town would be entered without any resistance?

The most decisive question is, if there in fact were no Polish troops, could it be that these troops left the city before it was bombed?
And how could the Germans know there were no (or no more) troops in the city?

We know the city was bombed by I./KG 77, but according to war diaries of the unit the operational area was described as: Bilgoraj - Janow - Frampol. And there were masses of Polish troops. This area was attacked on this 13th by I./KG 55 as well. The area was also bombed on the 12th and on the 14th. So why an experimental flight against Frampol on the 13th? I am sure it wasn`t.

Marius