View Single Post
Old 20th October 2008, 05:18

modenbach is on a distinguished road
Re: Ar 234 Friedrich Bruchlos

I have researched extant records that speak of the Remagen Bridgehead from March 7-17, 1945. One particular record is entitled The Establishment and Build-up of the REMAGEN BRIDGEHEAD, Prepared by the Research and Evaluation Division, The Armored School. The transcript I found was taken from a copy of the original document (D 756.5.R4.U58) at the Military History Institute in Carlisle, PA.

Page 12, in part, says “The 109th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion became operational on the west bank of the RHINE, and the 634th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion crossed and went into position on the east bank.
The corps command post opened at RHEINBACH (F4425) at 1220.
At the close of the day, the forces in the bridgehead had been strengthened by the arrival of the 309th Infantry Regiment, the remainder of the 310th Infantry Regiment, the 60th Infantry Regiment, and additional antiaircraft protection. The antitank defense of the bridgehead had been bolstered by the tank destroyers accompanying the regimental combat teams.
Although no artillery – or at best an occasional battery – had as yet moved east of the RHINE, the artillery of the divisions, as well as corps artillery, supported the operation from positions on the west side.
The day was cold, with visibility restricted by a low overcast which continued throughout the day. No fighter-bombers flew in support of the bridgehead, but medium bombers flew several missions.”

A quote from page 8, earlier on March 8, 1945 states: “Because of poor weather conditions – the day was cold with rain and low overcast – fighter-bombers were grounded and were unable to furnish cover protection for the bridge. However, the enemy attempted ten raids over the bridge with ten aircraft, eight of which were Stukas. By afternoon, however, the 482d Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion had three batteries at the bridge site with three platoons on the east and three platoons on the west bank of the river, while the 413th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion (90-mm) went into positions on the west bank; and of the ten attacking aircraft, eight were shot down.”

As quoted for March 9, 1945, no allied fighter-bombers flew in support of the bridgehead, probably because visibility was restricted by the “low overcast” as was the case the day before. The above cited record is extensively footnoted, and I plan to visit the Carlisle War College to verify the contents since I live only 1.5 hours away from it. Any comments?
Frank Steiner