View Single Post
Old 11th March 2005, 05:21

Reno
May 27th 1944 - Maj. Horst Carganico

I'd posed this question over at the 357th board and it was explained that there maybe some info on this event from the experts here in this forum.

I've always enjoyed the description of Col. C 'Bud' Anderson's dogfight on May 27, 1944 (first chapter of his book 'To Fly and Fight'). In this chapter, he states he could have gone back and researched who the pilot of the 109 was, since he was very good and may be one of the better German ace pilots, but he was not interested in doing that, since the pilot was there to carry out his duty. This dogfight always intrigued me for a number of reasons and I have always been looking for any info that could shed light on that event and the identity of the 109 pilot.

I read recently from Claus Sundin's/Christer Bergstrom's second profile book 'More Luftwaffe Fighters in Profile' that a Major Horst Carganico, a 60 kill ace, was shot down by a Mustang near Strasbourg, France. In fact it was near St. Dizier, France which is west of Strasbourg. This is the first information I've read that states he was shot down by a Mustang, other accounts say he was killed running into telephone lines while manuvering his fighter away from enemy a/c.

I know it's a long shot, but is there any additional light to be shed on this event and the identity of the pilot? Thanks!