View Single Post
Old 25th July 2017, 23:14
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Skalski/Franciszek Grabowski

Hello

I am glad that you like it!

Unfortunately, no records providing serial or code of aircraft flown are known to survive for most Polish units. No aircraft movement records are available, so the information of assignment of aircraft to units is fragmentary. I would wish to be different!

In regard of your questions.

1. Most sources state, that Skalski was assigned code 66, apparently following his memories published in Poland. No photo of the aircraft is known. However, on 5 September 2000, in presence of Many Souffan and myself, Skalski stated that he flew code 64. There are photos of such aircraft, with markings of section leader. I tend to believe Skalski, rather than his book which may have been edited, otherwise I have no explanation for that. Skalski certainly did not care much about such things. Unfortunately, there is no photo of him with his P-11.

2. Serial 8.66 is an assumption by a local researcher. There is no evidence, which would support nor deny the theory.

Addtionally, it was not uncommon to fly the aircraft available, and not the assigned one. Therefore, I cannot say with any certainity, on what missions Skalski flew his assigned aircraft.