View Single Post
Old 30th December 2010, 14:44
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
Re: Messerschmitt down at Acocks Green Birmingham

Hi guys

Thanks for your comments. This is the extract:

"So what was so good about the war? Well for us kids it was very exciting! We used to watch our fighter planes dogfighting with the German aircraft with the vapour trails all over the sky. One morning going to school (Hartfield Crescent) we walked through the gully from Shirley Road to Fox Hollies Road and there in our playing field was a Messerschmitt fighter plane with its nose buried in the field. What a prize! We were over it like a rash grabbing every bit of loose stuff there was. I remember very clearly one lad walking off with one of the plane's guns, complete with a belt of ammunition. Looking back it seems quite funny. I think we were about eleven or twelve years old. I believe the pilot got out safe and well and knocked on a door in Fox Hollies Road and surrendered. I have no idea if he was shot down by anti-aircraft guns or British fighters. This is the sort of thing that gave us what today they call street cred. We collected bits and pieces from bombs shells [to] ammunition in fact anything you could get our hands on. Most lads had a sandbag where they kept their prized possessions and were very quick to show them off. Fins from fire bombs were much sought after and the larger pieces of shrapnel were to be admired."

Sounds like you've still got a sore head from Christmas, Chris!! Anyway, have a good New Year!

Cheers
Brian