View Single Post
Old 28th May 2010, 18:50

Iain Torrance is on a distinguished road
Re: New book 'Fury', by Arnaud Gillet

Many

Thanks, glad that you also agree the ID.

Afraid I can not answer your question on AIR 35/196; but as you know the records are seldom fully accurate nor complete.

In respect of your photo of ‘QT-H’ ‘without wings and stopped by trees, surrounded by trees’ I would be cautious.

There are a huge number of photographs of a QT-H facing forward from the edge of a wood. I have noted the bomb crater under wing in many photos, the cut poles, the wheels visible and having been seemingly blown forward under the wings and many photos marked ‘bei Reims’. I take the images as highly consistent with an aircraft bombed in its standing. Refer IWM C401 for a 142 Squ aircraft in standings and note the consistency of the surrounds with those many photos of QT-H.

142 ORB for 16 May states:

The Squadron left Berry-au-Bac by convoy. Two a/c were left unserviceable in their standings, one in “A” Flight, K9259 (which had received a direct hit during the enemy bombing raid on 12.5.40) and one in “B” Flight L5880. A third aircraft which was standing on the aerodrome was sabotaged by F/Lt Wight.

As L5880 is not a valid Battle Srl No so it is a miss-type and I take L5440 (after researching possibilities)and that would be my main contender for that QT-H.

I wonder if the angle in your photo could be deceptive? I have seen photos of the fuselage of QT-H that does indeed deceive by appearing to be in a wood but I have seen no photo with wings off. I have also seen photos of a QT-H seemingly dragged forward from the standing but those photos clearly show the wings still on.

Of course I have to accept that ‘your’ QT-H may be a different plane that has crashed into a wood and has lost it’s wings. However if that is the case it is almost certainly a replacement plane to 142 Squ after the retreat from Berry-au-Bac (in order to account for the ‘H’ plane code) so it would not be the Hobler plane.

As I’ve noted previously on this thread my only problem with P2195 as being Hobler’s plane is his wings ‘folded back’ comment. Everything else fits and I am aware of no better possibility. Remember also that as he was crashing the plane he was under sustained ground fire, then the plane hit trees, then immediately skidded on the ground and he finally suffered burns. So I am inclined to forgive his precise recollection of the ultimate plane damage - absent any more credible clear alternative.

In any event I very look forward to your article and photograph.

Kind regards

Iain