View Single Post
Old 15th April 2017, 23:12

cz_raf
Re: Czecha and Poles on the same Squadron?

Hi chaps,

seems to me I can give you some details abour relationship about Czechoslovakians and Poles in the UK during WWII.

Yes there were some political problems with seizing part of former Czechoslovakia before the war started but in general they were true allies and co-operated.

There were also few exchanges of Czechoslovak and Polish airmen between their squadrons to deepen the colaboration.

As both nations are of Slavic origin, their languages are similar and we are able to undrstand each other a little bit, but not perfectly. It depends on region - for example people from the northern Moravia are able to communicate fluently, people from central Bohemia would understand in general only. It was quite a common problem at the early stage of training. British COs simplified Polish and Czech/Slovak language into one and were putting them into the same plane "they will undertand each other." There was a nearly tragic at No. 10 AOS in Desember 1941. Two Czech Observers u/t were sent to a Cross Country flight with a Polish pilot who know only Polish. Observers have tried to communicate with him in English, German, French, Czech+Slovak with few Polish words and even in Latin but he was not able to understand. Finally the flight has finished in ditching (no one was hurt).

The good relationship was partially broken in July 1943 when Polish Gen. Władysław Eugeniusz Sikorski, a Polish military and political leader, got killed in mysterious air crash after take off from Gibraltar. The problem was that the Liberator AL523 was captained by Czech F/Lt Eduard Prchal who by some miracle has been the only survival.

Anyway on the "low level" amongst the aimen or soldiers there was a friendship during the whole war and I have not knowledge abou any policy to separate them.

HTH

Pavel