View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2009, 16:00
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Need help with 3./ZG26 pilot first names during 1940

Hello,

I recently obtained a document that is a complete unit roster (FF & BF) for 3./ZG26 from 1.9.39 through 31.12.40. It lists total combat missions flown by each man and notes on dates and assignments for each man who left the unit through the end of that time period. It purports also to show all victories claimed by each, but apparently that was color coded into the mission symbols, and was lost when this was rendered into a black and white document. This is only one Staffel, but provides a great amount of useful info on 3./ZG26 that was lost during a 1943 bombing raid on Berlin. There are 29 pilots, 29 radio operator/gunners, and 4 technical people who flew at least one combat mission with 3./ZG26 during the period covered.

Three of the officers are listed as "transferrred out as adjutant." One of them was Oblt. Rüdiger Proske, who we know became Adjutant of I./ZG26, only to be shot down and POW on 18.8.40. The other two, Lt. Walter Manhart, and Oblt. Fleckner, first name unknown, transferred out respectively on 13.6.40 and 20.8.40. The latter could have taken over for the downed Proske as Adjutant of I./ZG26. My question is (besides the first name of Fleckner) has anyone found evidence of either of these pilots serving on the I./ZG26 Stab after these assignment dates? If not, could they have taken over as Gr. or Gesch. Adjutants of any other ZG unit on those dates?

Other pilots from the list for whom I'm seeking first names, which unfortunately aren't listed, are Hptm. Albrecht (trfd to a StaKap position on 10.3.40), Hptm. Moller (trfd to a NJG on 3.10.40); Lt Meyer, no transfer out date, Lt. Danneberg (trfd to III./ZG26 on 18.11.40); Lt Becker (trfd to NJG--probably NJG1--on 6.6.40) and Ofw Teichmann (trfd to II./ZG26 on 6.12.40). I'm also seeking first names for Fws Neureiter (trfd to Norway 15.3.40--I know this is before Operattion Wesserburg, which doesn't make sense, but probably means he went to I./ZG76); Iburg (trfd to unspecified NJG--probably NJG1--on 24.6.40) and Pogoda (trfd to a Zerstörer School 1.8.40), and an Uffz Strassfeld (trfd out to unspecified ZG on 10.10.40). Can anyone help me complete this roster with first names for these people? Our EOE research team already knows the first names of the other 15 pilots listed.

If, perchance, anyone knows any dates by which any of these men would have joined 3./ZG26, or any hard info (other than which I've already posted on this board) on victory claims by these or any other 3 Staffel pilots during the period in question, this info would be most welcome.

I'll deal with the missing Bordfunker first names in a later posting.

I./ZG26 is one of the Zerstörer Gruppe whose records were lost in the war, and if anyone can provide any additional information (FB, personal diaries, or other records) on this unit for the 1939-40 period, access to these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give.

Regards,