View Single Post
Old 18th October 2006, 10:31

Jaap Woortman is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for info on HE-111 losses over Holland, 10th may 1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cornwell View Post
5./KG4 Heinkel He111P. Shot down by Fokker G1 of 3-II-1 (1e Lt Kuipers & Sgt Venema) and crashlanded at Alblasserdam, near Waalhaven 4.15 a.m. Uffz H. Zitzmann captured badly wounded, treated at Missiehaus Paters van Nuland. Uffz G. Klenk, Uffz W. Wiebke, and Gefr R. Schlegel captured unhurt. Aircraft 5J+JN a write-off.
I don't think that the 5J+JN has made a crashlanding near Alblasserdam. In the information itself it is said that Uffz H.Zitzmann has been treated at the Missiehouse of the Paters van Nuland. Nuland is about 120 km from Alblasserdam. The correct crashplace is Rosmalen. Rosmalen is close to Nuland.

I also have a question. After the first attack of the planes of KG 4, strengthened with KGr 126, at the airfields in the Netherlands, I./KG 4 was used for bringing supplies to the airborne troops. See also Gundelachs book about KG 4 at page 71. II./KG 4 and III./KG 4 were operating in support of the 18 Army. The 9.Panzer-Division, as part of the 26th Army Corps, which belongs to the 18th Army, had the goal to go as fast as possible to the Moerdijkbridge. To make contact with the airborne troops.
Therefore they have to pass the Peel-Raam defence-line in East Brabant. Does someone know if the planes of II. and III./KG 4 have made attacks at this defence-line at places like Mill and later St.Oedenrode and Best.
According to the official Dutch Militairy History Stuka's have attacked the defence-line at Mill.
Looking forward for your answers,

Jaap Woortman
Secretary Dutch Study Group Airwar 1939-1945