View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2013, 12:08
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough
Re: I./ & IV./JG51 losses, Velikije Luki, 11.1942 - 01.43

I think, that any of the lists is not necessarily incomplete (or contain only minor shortcomings). The problem is, that the lists were for different purposes. Loss reports (both GQM and NVM) were simply reports of material of personnel losses and Bestandlisten was a accounting system to show the aircraft situation of the Gruppe. So it was a statistical listing of the number of aircraft in a certain date and possibly compiled by the clerk using date of signed receipt forms for incoming aircraft and date of signed dispatch note of the aircraft sent from the Gruppe (or loss date, if it was a total loss) for outgoing aircraft. Therefore some changes are in fact in the previous or next month account. Also, the aircraft with less than 30 % damages (even below 10 %, which were not reported) could be sent to industry, if they would need an overhaul in the near future.
The aircraft, which were sent to overhaul (Überholung) were mostly those, which had achieved the flight hour limit for overhaul and were not damaged.
Personnally I trust more the NVMs than Bestandlisten.

Matti