View Single Post
Old 8th August 2018, 15:30

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road
Re: French WW2 decimal score aces

Hello Alfred.

I agree the notes at the end refer to shared kills. A re-read on my part was required for that to penetrate.

Regarding the 'unconfirmed' status, Shores and Williams indicate they have referred to squadron records and combat reports, and the unconfirmed seem to be claims which they did not locate in either, but are present in Clostermann's personal log/record.

The OTG kills are mostly from 3/5/45 and are stated to be so listed in squadron records. If they were originally recorded as aerial kills, would anyone have bothered to change the status of the claims so close to the end? Or after the end? In his book Clostermann describes shooting down the Do24s in detail, so why would the squadron's records show them as OTG kills?

Regarding Clostermann's own list, Shores&W say it was prepared in November 1945 (showing 19 individual and 14 shared kills) and then signed by Broadhurst. They also say that with the shared kills, it appears Clostermann was only present and likely never fired a shot. I have no idea if these details are correct. If so, I guess it is always possible that the list was prepared with best belief but not 100% accurate being 6 months later.

In any case, I still think it safe to say the 23 claimed kills include claims which some sources now say are unconfirmed and/or probables and/or OTG kills. Ignoring claims Clostermann himself records as OTG, Shores&W list differs from Clostermann's only on one point - a FW190 kill on 2/7/44. Clostermann claims 2, Shores&W has only 1. As a result, the Shores&W list has 11 confirmed, 7 unconfirmed, and 5 probables = 23. And 9 damaged. Coincidence? By design? I can't see why they would try to tailor the result.

So it comes back to my question at the start - what do the crosses on his Tempest represent? In the absence of anything concrete from Clostermann on the meaning of his markings, I can only guess they are as I have presented above.

Last of all, I have no idea how to reconcile a Tempest with 21 black and 7 white crosses, given there were 4 kills in the last sortie with aerial kills. His score would have jumped from 19 to 23. Michel, - do you have a date for that photo? (I guess not)

Cheers
Peter