View Single Post
Old 6th August 2018, 10:43

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road
Re: French WW2 decimal score aces

Having looked at the various kill lists for Clostermann, it is my opinion that the one presented by Shores and Williams in AH (AH) is most accurate.
It credits him with 11 confirmed kills + 7 unconfirmed, 2 confirmed probables and 3 unconfirmed, and 9 damaged. I believe confirmation is from squadron records and combat reports. The kills in these numbers include 4 later changed to OTG kills.
Relating this score to the kill markings on his Tempest, you get 11+7+2+3=23 kills + 9 damaged, matching the numbers of black and white crosses.
So, did Clostermann ever state what the markings on the Tempest represent? In a post on another forum relaying the contents of a letter Clostermann wrote in response to questions on his kills, I have seen it said that the black crosses represent confirmed kills and the white crosses probables and OTG kills, BUT this statement is made in brackets, indicating it is likely an addition of the poster and not stated by Clostermann himself. This may hold the key to the various kill lists.
The problems I have with the statement made are -
1. that when you examine the 11 Spitfire kills which are referred to in his DFC, you can't get 11 unless you include the probables, and
2. in that case they can't also be included in the count for the white crosses, and
3. as the kill numbers given in AH include 4 later changed to OTG kills, they also can't be included in the white cross count
Finally, in the post on the forum I mentioned earlier, the poster quotes Clostermann as saying - "the French Air Force - as well as the US 8th Fighter Command, considered aircraft 'probables' and destroyed 'on the ground' as victories. This may explain some of the ridiculously inflated claims we found in the press". Another reason to conclude that the 23 as presented in AH is correct.
Has anyone else formed an opinion on his score?
Peter