View Single Post
Old 9th December 2014, 13:04

jeffooi is on a distinguished road
Please help me trace the pilot for these medals.

Hi All, this is my first post and I'm new to Luftwaffe so hopefully I don't sound too silly.

About a month ago I became the lucky owner of these medals. The dealer who sourced them was Klaus Butschek and he certified these came out of a house clearance near Regensburg, Bavaria, Germany in 2010.

What I underestimated was the task in identifying a Recon Pilot, who had flown over 600 missions as evidenced by the gold recon spange and the 600 pennant, who also had the knights cross and gold wound badge.

Alas the job is providing difficult and I need help.

I originally took all the data out of the Luftwaffe Officer Career Summaries in http://www.ww2.dk/lwoffz.html and put it into a database. Using the database I narrowed the criteria:
  • Was awarded RK
  • Died after 1957
  • Unit contained the following terms: Aufkl OR NAGr OR Nahaufkl OR Recon OR SAGr OR .(F)

This gave me a list of about 160 as a start but from that point I took a few liberties that maybe not quite correct. I assumed for instance that if there was no WIA or wounded entry in the record that the pilot could would not qualify, also some records mentioned pilots that had reached "Pennant" stage but then again some pilots had careers spanning 1939-1945 but whos # missions were not mentioned at all.

I do have a shortlist of about 8 but I want to know whether there is a better way of doing this, Any help even criticism would be appreciated!

Last edited by jeffooi; 10th December 2014 at 12:55.