View Single Post
Old 8th November 2018, 11:39
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Hurricane IId HV663 - 6 Sqn. RAF or 7 Sqn. SAAF?

Interesting Col

I guess nothing is impossible but I must say I am still doubtful, even if I now discovered another book saying HV663/U belonged to 7SAAF (Squadrons of the SAAF and its aircraft 1920-2005)

If we focus on the other aircraft visible HW313/S (not mentioned in the Squadron book), its RAF card only seems to state in operational use by 6Sq (RAF). It was lost on 6 April 1943, that is the same day the photo was reportedly taken! 7SAAF was nowhere near Gabes airfield while of course 6Sq was. Unless everything previously said about the photo is pure fiction, I would say the photo shows Hurricanes from 6Sq (RAF) taking off, but from where or when is not possible to say. However neither Gabes nor 6 April 1943 is impossible!

Michael Schoeman is good, no doubt about that, but there is no way of knowing from where his statement comes from. Even the best now and then simply state what is in front of them perhaps even scribbled on the back side of a photo copy.

So unless someone can come up with a 663 being recorded with 7SAAF I will remain doubtful....

Cheers
Stig