View Single Post
Old 12th February 2010, 03:51

RodM is on a distinguished road
Re: Using Ultra to research the Luftwaffe

Hi Larry,

thanks for the interesting comments.

My own experience, working with the 1945 DEFE 3 and HW 5 ULTRA material is that:

(a) HW 5 essentially contains the fuller versions of everything that is in DEFE 3. I have found at times that going to the HW 5 version can be useful, especially when wanting a more accurate transcript of a report, more specific information, or when the DEFE 3 signals contain slight errors of interpretation (one example off the top of my head is a DEFE 3 signal that interpreted a passage as referring to 'Abschüsse' when the HW 5 version clearly meant 'armament attacks' with onboard weapons). Obviously, in terms of specifics about personnel, WM, claims and losses, DEFE 3 is useless. I much prefer to see the fuller HW 5 signals for strength returns, as sometimes, information can be better understood, and the less accurately decrypted parts are more clearly identified. An example of the benefit of HW 5 is found in the few Fliegerkorps IX. (J) operations reports that are a part of the 1945 ULTRA. While the information can be found in many cases in the OKL FüSt Ic Reich Luftlagemeldungen at the BA/MA, the ULTRA material provides the times of operations, and sometimes, information that just doesn't appear to be elsewhere (some of the only real solid documentary info on claims by Oblt. Welter, for example).

(b) HW 5 contains a lot of signals that were NOT transmitted to the Commands (and hence are not in DEFE 3). Again, this info is usually of a limited and specific nature (WN, losses, claims, information about personnel etc).

(c) the specifics in HW 5 are most useful when combined with documentary information from both public and private sources, not only in filling in gaps, but also as a measure of verifying information. As an example, I have used ULTRA, along with surviving Flugbücher and KTB as a source for verifying the accuracy of British Y Service reports.

DEFE 3, for me, has been most useful in identifying and cataloguing T series reports as a part of research (i.e. the Nachtjagd and RAF British Command losses and raids). In other words, it shows what is available. For the more 'important' T reports, I obtained the HW 5 version, and have found these preferable to the DEFE 3 version, especially when quoting operational reports, as has been done extensively throughout the 1945 narratives in Volume 2 of The Nachtjagd War Diaries.

Cheers

Rod